Parish registers: baptisms, marriages, confirmations and burials
1826 - 1995
A - E | F - J | K - O | P - T | U - Z
Public Access to Anglican Diocese of Newcastle
Parish Register Microfilms, 1826 - 1899
Due to the very fragile state of these volumes, microfilm copies of the parish registers have been made. The parish microfilms are widely available to the general community in seventeen libraries, including ten libraries in the Hunter Valley. In order to gain access to information from parish microfilms, please arrange to visit the appropriate library nearest to you as follows:
- The National Library of Australia, Canberra : full set of film.
- The Mitchell Library, Sydney : incomplete set.
- Lake Macquarie City Library, Speers Point : full set of film.
- Newcastle Region Public Library, Local History Department : full set of film.
- University of New England, History Resource Centre, Armidale : full set of film.
- Coffs Harbour Public Library : full set of film.
- State Library of Queensland, Brisbane : full set of film.
The following libraries hold local subsets of microfilms :
Gosford City Library, Cessnock City Library, Maitland City Library, Muswellbrook Public Library, Scone Public Library, Singleton Public Library, Raymond Terrace Public Library, Nelson Bay Public Library, Dungog Public Library, Taree City Library.
Please note, for parish microfilms before 1900:
- The microfilm copies referred to above are an exact photocopy of the pages in the original registers, and contain all of the information in the original.
- If you notice gaps for certain records on the microfilm, that indicates that some of the original registers have not survived.
- Where fragile records have been microfilmed and are accessible on microfilm, it is standard archival practice that the original volumes may not be handled.
- Members of the public wishing to visit Cultural Collections are advised to contact us.