Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Archives of the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle
Bishops' Registry Records
Francis de Witt Batty
Bishop of Newcastle, 1931 - 1958
- Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Church Army in Australia, 1936.
- An Ordinance to fix the stipend of the Bishop of Sydney, 1905.
- Wollombi land sale Ordinance, 1952.
- Licence of John Charles Vockler, 1953.
- New South Wales Co-operation Act, 1923 - 1945.
- Correspondence and papers relating to the Constitution of the Church of England in Australia, 1932 - 1957. [See also A6800].
- Minutes of Meeting of the Diocesan Council, 1949.
- Minutes of Meeting of Australian Board of Missions, 1949.
- Minutes of Conferences of Australian Bishops, 1931, 1932.
- Copies of minutes, financial statements, reports of Diocesan Council, Trustees of Church Property, Financial Committee, 1931 - 1934.
- Copies of minutes, 1947 - 1951.
- Constitution Committee appointed by General Synod, minute book, 1945 - 1946.
- General correspondence, 1930 - 1958.
- Anglican Congress, America, 1952 - 1954.
- Archbishop of York's visit, 1951.
- Australian College of Theology, 1958.
- Archbishop of Canterbury's visit, 1980.
- Bishop of Bathurst case, including transcript of proceedings, 1944 - 1949.
Correspondence 1951 - 1957 relating to:
- Doctrinal Conference.
- Stewart A. Munro.
- Australian Board of Missions.
- Federal Government aid to Church Schools, 1956.
- Intercession lists, 1957.
- Postulants Guild and list of postulants, 1953 - 1958.
- Synod correspondence, 1951.
- Circular letters to Synod members, 1955.
- Correspondence relating to the affairs of the Church at Taree, 1935 - 1940.
- Confirmation lessons.
- Bishop's engagements, 1931.
- Church Army, 1933 - 1955.
- Candidates for Holy Orders, 1930 - 1958.
- The Anglican, 1936 - 1957.
- Friends of the Cathedral and Business Men's Luncheon, 1935 - 1944.
- Charles Preston's visit, 1952 - 1956.
- Centenary, 1945 - 1947.
- Missions, 1931 - 1932.
- Religion and life week, 1942 - 1951.
- Confirmation lists, 1925 - 1933.
- Constitution correspondence, 1946 - 1952.
- Melbourne College of Divinity, syllabus, and degree regulations, 1947 - 1951.
- Newcastle Diocesan Churchman, November, 1955.
- Memoirs of Bishop Francis de Witt Batty, Bishop of Newcastle, 1931-1958, prepared for publication by the Rev. Denis E. Taylor.
- Lectures on preaching, 1954.
- The Flying Ace, by J. Bradbury.
- Reminiscences of Bishop Batty, [n.d.].
- South East Asia appeal records.
- The background to the early Australian governors, by J.J. Auchmuty, 1954.
- Bishop's address at the opening of Synod, May 1956.
- Some facts about the Bishop's Career [anonymous undated typescript]
- National Missionary Council of Australia Ministers bulletin, 1948 - 1949.
- Pamphlets on the "New State Movement", 1948.
- Pamphlets on the Australian Board of Missions, 1948.
- Speeches, sermons, addresses, 1944 - 1953.
- Lectures on "Belief in God", 1933.
- Press clippings on production of Hamlet, 1949.
- Education, November 1949.
- Order of Service for the enthronement of Bishop Batty, March 1931.
- Centenary play on William Tyrrell, and press clippings, 1947.
- Cultural Centre Advisory Committee report and recommendations, 1937.
- Ninth religion and life week series.
- Diocese of Newcastle 1847 - 1947: The Morpeth Pilgrimage, June 1947.
A5321 and A6791-A6793
- Radio broadcasting files, 1942 - 1957.
- Bishop's broadcasts and addresses, 1956 -1958.
- Newspaper clippings on 2HD Radio Station, 1944 - 1945.
- Press clippings on Christian Inter-Communion, 1937, 1948.
- Synod address by Bishop Batty, 1956.
- The Episcopate of Francis de Witt Batty, 1931 - 1958, by Pamela Lane, (Newcastle University B.A. Thesis, 1977).
- Photograph of Bishop Batty.
- New South Wales bishops, 1934.
- Bishop Batty.
- Newcastle War Memorial Cultural Centre. First Liaison Committee, 1946.
- Seal presses.
- Photographs of the Morpeth Pilgrimage, 1947.
BATTY, FRANCIS DE WITT BATTY(1879-1961) -Professor Ken Cable
Supplementary material collected by the late Professor Ken Cable for a proposed biography. Deposited by Mrs Leonie Cable with the Bishop Roger Herft on the 13February 2004. Transferred to the Cultural Collections (Archives) Auchmuty Library 8March 2006.
- A6577 (i) Lectures on “Preaching and the Pastoral Office” Delivered by the Bishop of Newcastle to the Clergy of the Diocese of California at San Francisco October 4-8 1954. [Typescript] [In pencil: Revised. Batty.]
- A6577 (ii) Lectures on “Preaching and the Pastoral Office” Delivered by the Bishop of Newcastle to the Clergy of the Diocese of California at San Francisco October 4-8 1954. [Typescript]
- A6577 (iii) Correspondence to Francis de Witt Batty 1952-1960; French Driver’s Licence with Photograph [Issued at Biarritz], 1915.
- A6577 (iv) Correspondence to Francis de Witt Batty with notes and papers, 1913-1960.
- A6577 (v) Typescript biographical notes from various 18th-19sources, 1715-1899.
- A6577 (vi) Addresses, programs, speeches and papers relating to “Religion and Life” Week held in Newcastle, 1942-1943.
- A6577 (vii) Minutes, drafts and amendment papers relating to the Constitution Committee of General Synod of the Church of England in Australian and Tasmania. 1952.
- A6578A (i) Correspondence, papers, newsclippings and reports relating to law of the Church of England and its relation to Doctrine and Ritual in the Diocese of Brisbane, . Includes correspondence between Mr P.W. Henderson and the Archbishop of Brisbane,1953-1956.
- A6578A (ii) Typescript copies of the correspondence of Francis de Witt Batty with Sir Harry Verney, Lord Bruce Elgin, Ralph Verney, Edward Elgin. 1901 – 1959.
- A6578A (iii) Various papers:
- A6578A (iii) a. Correspondence and manuscript notes of Kenneth J. Cable relating to a proposed biography of Bishop Francis de Witt Batty,1968-1969, 1974.
- A6578A (iii) b. Newsclippings and papers related to death of Bishop Francis de Witt Batty. 1961-1965.
- A6578A (iii) c. Xerox and original correspondence relating to Bathurst Case. 1947-1949.
- A6578A (iii) d. Various typescript and manuscript writings, sermons, and selected chapter drafts of the Memoirs of Francis de Witt Batty, [n.d. 1960?]
- A6578A (iii) e. Correspondence and papers relating to new Determination on Foreign Missions, 1936.
- A6578A (iv) Papers relating to the Anglican Congress held Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, August 4-13 1954.
- A6578B (i) [Typescript] Lecture on “Preaching and the Pastoral Office” Delivered by the Bishop of Newcastle to the Clergy of the Diocese of California at San Francisco, 4th-8th October 1954.
- A6578B (ii) Newsclippings. 1901-1961.
- A6578B (iii) a. [Typescript] “Random Prospect” by the Bishop of Newcastle. 
- A6578B (iii) b. [Typescript] “Random Prospect” 
- A6578B (iii) c. [Typescript] Drafts of “Random Prospect” Memoir  A6578B (iv) Minutes, Correspondence and papers relating to the Constitution Committee of the General Synod of the Church of England in Australia and Tasmania.1952-1960.
- A6578B (v) Three handwritten manuscript notebooks: “Notes of a Monthe’s Visit to India in January 1921”; Universal exercise book, 77 pages [c1930s]; Black Exercise Book, 20 pages, [c1940s]
- A6578B (vi) [Leather Bound] The Form and Order of the Enthronement of the Right Reverend Francis de Witt Batty. M.A. as Lord Bishop of Newcastle in the Cathedral Church of Christ Newcastle March 3, 1931.
- A6578B (vii) Photographs, c1870 - c1960