Skip to Main Content

Anglican Diocese of Newcastle Archives: Canon Carlos Stretch (1)

Archives of the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle

Bishops' Registry Records

Canon John Carlos Stretch - Part 1

Canon John Carlos William Stretch was the son of the first Australian-born bishop of the Anglican Church, Bishop John Francis Stretch, who served as Bishop of Newcastle from 1906 – 1919.

Canon Stretch was educated at Trinity College, Melbourne (1905 – 1907) and St John’s College Armidale. He was ordained Dean in 1909 and Priest in 1911, obtaining his Licentiate of Theology in 1911. Apart from a couple of years as Deacon at Christ Church Adelaide, South Australia (1910-1911), he lived and served most of his time in the Hunter Region. He served as Deacon-in-Charge of West Wallsend (1909-1910) and Merriwa (1911-1912), and as Priest-in-Charge of Toronto (1916-1918) and Weston (1921), before becoming Rector of Dungog (1922-1926), Merriwa (1926-1934) and, finally, St Paul’s Maitland (1934-1953), where he spent the bulk of his career. He became Rural Dean of Maitland in 1943 until his retirement in 1953, as well as Canon of Christ Church Cathedral Newcastle from1952-1953.

He was a photographer of note and loved keeping journals of his travels around the countryside in his automobile. He was also greatly interested in Aboriginal culture, especially the native languages, leaving a voluminous collection of word listings, indexes, manuscript notes, newsclippings, as well as a modest library. His correspondence reflected his interests in Aboriginal place names and fascination for the language and culture. In this regard he resembled another clergyman, the Rev L.E. Threlkeld, who, with his Aboriginal advisor, companion and friend, Biraban, recorded the words and soundings of the Awabakal language and other indigenous tongues of the Region. Canon Stretch’s papers were donated by Mrs Helen Pankhurst, and accessioned by Mrs Josie Stevenson.

A7725 - A7729


  • Bundle of newspaper cuttings relating to Maitland flood, June 1949.


  • Alphabetical letter file containing newspaper clippings relating to various places in NSW., 1938-1939


  • Book of newspaper clippings relating to Carlos Stretch at St Paul's Church West Maitland, 1934 – 1939.


  • Book of newspaper cuttings relating to Weston-Kurri and Dungog, 1921-1926.


  • Society Reports, 1851-1953.


  • Newspaper cuttings relating to Wreck of the “Dunbar”, Paterson, Newcastle, 1939 – 1951.


Folder –

  • Diocesan History Notes, 1829-1953;
  • New Italy memorial souvenir brochure, 1961;
  • Catalogue of British navy photo exhibition, W.W.II.[c1950].


  • Red exercise book – correspondence from Grafton 1921-[1926];
  • Prison chaplain's address, 1914;
  • Newspaper cuttings, 1930-1939.


  • Handwritten manuscript book containing historical notes about various places in Australia. Aldermen of Newcastle, 1859-1929;
  • Clippings [c1940].


  • Exercise book containing notes on Windermere House, Kaludah, & church building construction, 1956 - 1957.


  • Folder containing handwritten notes, Dangar homes; Maitland publication, 1937; cuttings on early Australian churches [c1938].


Folder containing

  • Anglican newspaper cuttings, [c1950];
  • Correspondence while Carlos Stretch was in Tasmania, 1952;
  • Literary Grant application 1956.


  • Folder containing copy of Churches of Romance and History Compiled and Edited by H. J. Hamlyn for Tucker & Co. Pty Ltd [n.d.] plus newspaper cuttings including serialised versions of 'Churches of Romance and History', 'The Mother State', Res Ecclesiasticae' and 'From the Chateau Tanunda Scrapbook', notes , correspondence. [c1930]-1940.


  • Folder containing newspaper cuttings relating to Hawkesbury River Bridge, Hexham Bridge, Mayfield West. [c1930-1949].


  • Envelope of newspaper clippings relating to touring and historical notes [c1930-1940].


  • Exercise book entitled 'Motor Tours 1938-8': Clippings, motor tour of New South Wales ;
  • Hexham swamps “proposed aerodrome site” ,1937-1938.


  • Diary for 1942 used for historical notes relating to place names around the Hunter Valley and parish history of Diocese of Newcastle entitled 'Historical Notes of Parish History Arranged Alphabetically but not chronologically' [c1942].


  • Manuscript notebook entitled 'Historical Notes about Various Places A-Z General' containing historical notes about various locations in New South Wales. [c1940s]


  • Scrapbook – clippings of place names ;
  • Table of N.S.W. railways 1855-1932;
  • Correspondence to Secretary for Railways, 1939-1955;
  • Loose clippings, 1953- 1964 ;
  • Maps;
  • Maitland Daily Mercury Centenary Suppl. Nov. 1, 1935 (Article on 'Railways' p.14)


  • Notebook entitled 'Boscobel' containing descriptions of homes and properties in N.S.W. including Tocal, Neotsfield, Baroona, St Heliers, St Aubins; Cessnock;
  • Notes on the railway gauges; correspondence, 1956 -1959;
  • News clippings relating to church service times, Shroud of Turin, Mesopotamian capital Shubat Enlil, Hawkesbury bridge, Ironbark Creek bridge collapse and temporary bridge, 1956 –[1978].

Two notebooks 1945.

  • Notebook entitled 'A Trip Round the Lake: Maitland – Kurri – Mulbring – Morisset – Wyee – Catherine Hill Bay – Swansea – Belmont – Charlestown – Adamstown – Maitland 1945' describing trip around Lake Macquarie with historical notes and additional information on Newcastle suburbs Adamstown, Hamilton, Waratah, Mayfield, Wallsend, Plattsburg, Shortland, Sandgate, Hexham; and
  • Notebook describing trip to Port Stephens, a round trip to Maitland, Wollombi, Broke, Singleton, 1945.


  • Scrapbook of clippings with articles by “Boscobel” on places in Hunter Valley and Anglican Church history. (Includes articles on AthEl D'Ombrain and Rosemary Munday),1954-1958.


  • Covered exercise book containing manuscript 'Notes & Memos on the Projected Trip to Melbourne' by Carlos Stretch with Map of Canberra and newclippings and notes on Maitland at rear of book, 1913 –1939.


  • Walker's patent lock-clip [box] file, cost 2/6. Quarto. Contains Commendatory letter forms, Confirmation & First Communion forms, Illuminated Baptism prayer card, Home prayers card, 'Robur' tea profit-sharing catalogue, 1932, Church News clipping, 1928, Seventh Day Adventism leaflet, [c1928]-1932.


  • Copy of Illustrated guide to the church congress and ecclesiastical art exhibition held in Middlesbrough, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4, 1912.


  • Copy of N.S.W. motorists' roads guide, with sectional maps by H.E.C.Robinson, Ltd. [1920?]. Includes clippings;
  • Notes;
  • Letter from Elsie Weber, “Congewoi”, Walgett dated 25.10.1947 and reply to enquiry re “Come-by-Chance” and other place names.


  • Copies of The Westcountry Calendar, 1952. Gift from Mrs. Goulton Constable; Beautiful Britain, a 'Country Life' calendar 1953-1955, 1957,1958. From Mrs. Goulton Constable. 5 issues.


  • Copy of Maitland's Progress Sponsored by Maitland Business Men's Club, 1937;
  • Copy of The Story of 50 yrs' successful business, 1903 – 1928. W. Winn & Co. Ltd., Newcastle (N.S.W.).


  • Copy of newspaper article 'They're different at Alice Springs' by Colin Simpson, from Sunday Sun and Guardian, July 5, 1936.


  • Copy of Industrial Review. Suppl. to 'Daily Telegraph'. Feb. 22, 1939. Includes industries & business information.


  • Copy of Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate. Monday, June 8, 1959. 2 copies + extra copy of section Newcastle Council Centenary.


  • Copy of Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate. Thursday, May 24, 1962. Survey of Newcastle and it industry.


  • Copy of Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate. Saturday, April 14, 1962. Includes article on Christ Church Cathedral (p.5) entitled 'Cathedral on a High Hill” by W.H. Fenwick.


  • Copies of Maitland Daily Mercury. Friday, December 11, 1936. “King Edward Abdicates”;
  • Daily Telegraph and Morning Post. Supplement. “The Royal tour in pictures.” 24 pp. London, Monday, June 26, 1939. Visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to Canada and USA.


  • Copy of Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate. September 2, 1964. Front-page photo – Bishop of Newcastle (Rt. Rev. L. Stibberd) at Legacy Week luncheon. Also Group Captain R.T. Susans, Mr. E. Hardman, looking at Jet Mirage model.


  • Copy of The Morning Post. [London]. Monday, May 6, 1935. “The King's Silver Jubilee. Special pictorial record. 1910 – 1935”.


  • Copy of Pageantry Comes to Town: the Commonwealth of Australia Jubilee Celebrations, 1951.


  • News clippings on Chichester pipe-line, 1939;
  • Map - proposed diversion of water to Upper Hunter; Hawkesbury River and Hexham bridges; Maitland, 1946.


  • Western Australian Government Railways, timetables from 6th June, 1938 until further notice.


  • Copy of Facts on Canada, 1969.


  • Aeronautical map. England, South East and London. R.A.F. Edition (War). Sheet 12, 1928.


  • Copy of Supplement to the Northern Star, July 28, 1970. Contains article: “Road of Progress” on Richmond River NSW area.


  • Copy of Queen of the Day Procedure. Coronation Procedure for a Queen. Guide for Queen Elizabeth's coronation, for the Archbishop and staff.


  • Copy of Newcastle Morning Herald 1962 Survey. May 24, 1962. Newcastle and Hunter Valley.


  • Folder containing Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate, Friday, April 24, 1947 and Saturday, April 26, 1947; Maitland Mercury, Friday, April 25, 1947 and Sydney Morning Herald, Saturday, April 26, 1947. Anzac Day issues.


  • Folder : Scrapbook containing clippings of war poems from First World War 1914-1918, and copy of Talks with the Troops. Sermon notes by P.S.Wigram. Also clipping of “How British swooped on Benghasi” (map of Mediterranean) from Maitland Mercury, Saturday, February 15, 1941.


  • Folder : Road map of New South Wales, Sydney , Newcastle and environs. Atlantic Union Oil Co. Ltd. 1932. [Folded]. Tourist map of Sydney. City of Sydney, (1938?) [Folded]. Gregory's Guide to New South Wales. (1930?). Guide to Newcastle and District. Published by Reg C. Pogonoski Ltd, 1928. [Notes in pen relevant to his church work throughout the book]


  • Copy of The Sydney Book. Photographs by H. Cazneaus, T. Purcell and Milton Kent. 1931. Text and 19 plates, some with tracing paper showing localities or features sketched in by the owner.


  • Folder : R.A.C.V. Camping guide. 1935 and loose pamphlets and maps of Victorian places, 1935-1938.


  • Copy of The Newcastle Sun: Special pictorial. Tuesday, November 27, 1934. Contains Newcastle scenes.


  • Maitland Hospital 1842 – 1942. 12 photographs, brief chronological history. Also Maitland Hospital, 98th annual report, 1942. 15 pp.; programme of Maitland Hospital Centenary celebrations, Saturday, 7th November, 1942. (1 leaflet).


  • Copy of Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate, Wednesday, May 27, 1953. Preview of Her Most Gracious Majesty Elizabeth II. Pp.17-22, 25-32.


  • Folder of maps of New South Wales, Canberra. Very detailed.[1930-40?]

A7730 - A7739


  • Folder: collection of NRMA maps and clippings of New South Wales's areas. Copy of The Education Gazette, NSW. Vol. 15, No. 7. 1st July, 1946.


Folder contains

  • Typewritten order of Anzac Dawn Ceremony of Remembrance, Lismore 1965. Folded in envelope of Lismore sub-branch R.S.L & A.I.L.A.;
  • Road map of New South Wales, folded; Railway Map of England and Wales. Folded sheet. [1930?];
  • The Little calendar of Bible readings for 1938. Pamphlet, 1937;
  • Clipping – photograph of York Minster; Map guide of Summerland. Lismore district, NSW.,1961;
  • Map of Cootamundra, NSW. I 55/11, by Geographic Section, Aust. Survey Corps.;
  • Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate, Tuesday, June 23, 1959. Hunter Valley Research section, pp. 9-14.;
  • Booklet Trans-Australian Railway, 1927;
  • Photographs;
  • Map, Newcastle and environs. [Anglican Churches marked in] [1950?]

Folder contains

  • Exercise book with loose clippings (religious themes);
  • Letter from Dungog Vestry Council secretary J.F. McLoghlin;
  • Lists of donations to memorial fence at St Paul's Maitland;
  • Copies of certificates (1 baptism, 1 burial);
  • St Paul's parish calendar, no. 167 September 1, 1937, (1 sheet).

Folder contains:

  • Coronation of their majesties King George VI & Queen Elizabeth, Official Souvenir Programme. 2 editions. 1937;
  • The Coronation, 1936 ;
  • The Education Gazette, NSW, 1st April, 1940.;
  • Hymns for our day. Music and words plus a sheet with words only. Written by wartime chaplain.;
  • Truro Cathedral, high altar picture – reverse Dean Prior Church –“Where Herrick Was Vicar” (loose page).

Folder contains:

  • B.H.P. Review. Vol.9, no. 2, May, 1932. (Lost cover);
  • Correspondence between Rev. C. Stretch, J.C. Clark, Phyllis Mander Jones (Mitchell Librarian, 1955), Sir Alistair McMullin (Senator), Miss Ruth White. References to “Edenglassie”, Rouchel, Hinton.

Folder contains:

  • Gregory's Newcastle and 100 miles around. [1935?] (Contains cuttings and pamphlets loose in book, e.g. Newcastle places, roads; Paterson and Dungog.); Robinson's Lake Macquarie map. Folded. [1940?];
  • Map of New South Wales railways. Shewing (sic) coach and other routes from the various stations. 1920, and reverse side Map shewing railways and tramways of Sydney and environs. 1920. 1 sheet;
  • The Open Road. April 1, 1953 issue. Map of Tumut and Gundagai district on p. 14.

Folder containing

  • Issues of St. Paul's Middlesbrough Parish Magazine. No.5, May 1913 - January, 1915. Includes notes, cards, leaflets, rosters of preachers for St. Paul's and Holy Cross;
  • Letter from Ted H. Campion (?) West Grinstead, Horsham [Vic.] re donation to the Brotherhood in Australia. [Rev. J.C.W. Stretch Th. L., 120 Newport Rd, Middlesbrough. July, 1913].

Folder contains newspaper clippings relating to religious news:

  • 1973 'The Blind Man miracle' Doctor offers medical theory;
  • 1973 Shroud may hold proof of the crucifixion;
  • 1978 Limit on Holy Shroud Tests (Sun Herald);
  • 1978 Christ did not die on the cross-new evidence (Sunday Telegraph);
  • 1979 Ancient tablets being suppressed (Newcastle Herald)
  • Newspaper clipping relating to Aboriginal Archaeology. Experts find relics in black campsite (Newcastle Herald, 1979). Loose-leaf Printed Materials titled The First Book of Samuel, The Church of England Bible College's Approach to Bible Study, and The Single Kingdom of Judah by the Church of England Bible College. 1 printed page titled The Sacrament of Holy matrimony in the Greek Orthodox Church.
  • 1 loose Printed B/W photo: The Bears head, on the beach at Port Macquarie. Parish Papers from Christ Church, Lavender Bay. North Sydney: June 1934; July 1934; Nov. 1934; Aug. 1935; Sep. 1937; Sep. 1939; Nov. 1939 (only cover); Dec. 1939 (only cover); Feb. 1945; March 1945; April 1945 (no cover); May 1945 (no cover); June 1945 (no cover); July 1945 (no cover); Aug. 1945 (no cover); Sep. 1945 (no cover). One back cover of exercise book with arithmetical tables.


  • Folder contains Report of Hunter River Flood Mitigation Committee, 1948: Contains maps, photos and cross-sections of the Hunter River.


  • Folder contains exercise book (Westex) titled Extracts from Dr John Dunmore Lang accounts of NSW 1837 and historical notes.


  • Minute Book entitled, 'Notes on the life and labours W. Tyrrell D.D.: Newcastle and Various Articles Historical Interest'. Notes on William Tyrrell, local parishes and some correspondence,1955-1958.


  • Copy of New Churches Illustrated: Photographs, ground plans and information regarding 52 churches erected during the years 1926-1936. London, 1936


  • Copy of The First Aeroplane Voyage From England to Australia, by Sir Ross Smith K.B.E. with Aeroviews by Capt. Frank Hurley. Includes 27 full-page Aeroviews of Sydney, North Sydney, Neutral Bay, Cremorne, Mosman, Athol, Middle Harbour, Manly, Watson's Bay, Rose Bay, Potts Point, Bondi, Bronte, Coogee, Paramatta River, Katoomba, Lithgow, Dubbo, Orange, Bourke, Wollongong, Goulburn, Cootamundra, Wagga, Albury etc. [n.d.]


  • Stretch's scrapbook with newspaper clippings relating to parish history, including a 48 page magazine supplement titled 'An Appeal To Reason', concerning an appeal for readers to spend their shopping money in West Maitland. 1837; Letter from R.R. Wallis (Rex) to Carlos Stretch, March 10, 1945 [ Rex m. Pheme Mallaby thus Pender connection also.], 1937 – 1945.


  • Index book of Australian place names with notes on their origins and meanings, written and compiled by Carlos Stretch. [c1940s]


  • Index book entitled 'Aboriginal Words and Their Meanings'. Includes rough working notes by Carlos Stretch; with Roads map of NSW [c1950?];
  • Letter from W.P. Bluett dated 2nd March 1957;
  • Letter in own writing transcribed in pencil by Canon Stretch, the writer states he cannot read and writes “only by instinct”;
  • Letter from H.L. White (National Librarian) dated 28th April 1955;
  • Letter from A.R.Hogg, Chief Assistant, Commonwealth Observatory, Mount Stromlo, Canberra, dated 11th March, 1955;
  • Letter from Thomas H. Halton, Shire Clerk, Lake Macquarie Shire Council, Speers Point, Boolaroo 2N, NSW dated 15th February, 1955 replying to a request on the name “Cary”;
  • Reply from Ven. Archdeacon H.Gordon Begbie, St. Michael's Rectory, Wollongong dated 9th June, 1956 re Aboriginal names.


  • Typed index book titled 'Toponomy (sic): Origins and Meanings of Placenames of New South Wales', [c1940s?]


  • Letter and invoice file containing correspondence relating to Carlos Stretch's endeavors in Toponymy, 1946-1948.


  • Copy of offprint 'Aboriginal Religious Practice' by A. Capell M.A. Ph.D. from Mankind: Official Journal of the Anthropological Societies of Australia. Feb. 1950.


  • Copy of Native Legends by David Unaipon, Adelaide, [n.d.] Signed by author Sept 7, 1939.


  • Aerial views of Newcastle, Newcastle Morning Herald Series, with photographs, 1938 - 1948.


  • Copy of Church Illustrated, Feb 1962.

Copy of The Enchanting North by J.S. Fletcher. London, 1908. Christmas gift from W. W. Harris to Revd J.C.W. Stretch 1914.


  • Copy of From Rome to Canterbury (A Spiritual Pilgrimage) by “Stephen Langton” (A.E. Saxon). Maitland, [c1910?]


  • Road Atlas 3 Miles to 1 Inch. London, [c1930s]


  • Copy of Our Own Country. Descriptive, Historical, Pictorial. London, [c1880s]


  • Copy of A Penny A Language: More Bibles Please! London, [c1940s]


  • Copy of What to Remember About Westminster Abbey by Agatha G. Twining with The Story of the Unknown Warrior's Grave by The Revd. David Railton. London, 1931.


  • Copy of The Ornaments of Westminster Abbey by Jocelyn Perkins. London, 1933.


  • Copy of Durham Cathedral by William Greenwell. Durham, 1913.


  • Copy of The Holiday Handbook: London and North Eastern Railway. [London, 1920s?]


  • Copy of Bacon's Portable Railway Tube & Tramway Map of London with Index. London, [1890s]


  • Copy of How to Prepare for Europe: A Handbook of Historical, Literary and Artistic Data with Full Directions for Preliminary Studies and Travelling Arrangements by H.A. Guerber. New York, 1906.


  • Copy of London Street Guide with Map of Tubes. London, [c1900].


  • Copy of The British Colonial Pocket Atlas by John Bartholomew. London, 1887.


  • Copy of The English Lakes. [London, 1910?]


  • Sermons by Carlos Stretch: Volumes 1-35.


  • Sermons by Carlos Stretch: Volumes 36-60.


  • Sermons by Carlos Stretch: Volumes 61- 87.


  • Sermons by Carlos Stretch: Volumes 88-100.


  • Where is it? Address book [1910]


  • Index to Sermon Notes. Contains newspaper clippings of the words to Australia, Rise, March Onward!


  • Index to Sermons Volumes 1-3.


  • Index to Sermons Volume 4.


  • Notebook listing all celebrations of mass entitled 'Celebrations of John Carlos William Stretch Deacon: June 6 1909 Priest: November 1911'. 1911-1950.


  • Sermon book J.C.W.S. Volume 1


  • Sermon book J.C.W.S. Volume 2


  • Sermon book J.C.W.S. Volume 3


  • Copy of The Ancient and Royal City of Canterbury: The Official Guide. Canterbury, 1912.


  • Copy of Guide to the Wye Valley-Illustrated: From Hereford to Chepstow. Cheltenham, [c1910]


  • Copy of Illustrated Guide to Norwich. Norwich, [c1910]


  • The Official Guide to Penzance: An Illustrated Description of England's Most Westerly Point. 1908.


Folder contains

  • Visitors guides to Lambert Palace;
  • Temple (or Holy Cross Church) Bristol; Church of St. Andrew at Lavington;
  • Liverpool Cathedral: A description of the Lady Chapel with a short account of the cathedral building;
  • Notes on the Parish Church of Scarborough, 1906; A Short Account of Chelsea Old Church, 1911;
  • England's Centuries in Storied Stone: Camera Studies by Henry C. Stacy;
  • Liverpool cathedral, Vere E. Cotton; Bristol Cathedral, Beverly Minister, Bath Abbey, Tintern Abbey C.1, Tintern Abbey C.2, Tewksbury Abbey;
  • The Priory Church of St. Mary, Annadale (Gisborough)

Arthur E. Henderson. Illustrated with drawings by the author and photographs.


Folder contains

  • Northern England official bus timetable;
  • Cyclists Annual and Official Handbook 1914;
  • Street and Railway Map in Sections, together with an alphabetical and classified index of places, streets and stations. (Two Copies) Underground railway map. London Transport and Bus map Central area, London Transport.


  • The unrivalled Album of Permanent Photographic Views of Wells, Glastonbury and Cheddar. Includes guide to Gough's Caves, Cheddar. 1912.


  • Book titled The North Riding of Yorkshire by Morris. 1904.


  • Copy of The Homeland Handbooks Volume 54, High Wycombe, Beaconsfield and the Chalfonts by Clive Rouse. Illustrated from photographs. London, [1905]


  • Copy of A Guide to Petersborough, Being No.218 of the Borough Guides Series. [c1900]


  • Copy of Cookes' Handy Pocket Guide to Richmond, Yorkshire. [c1910].


  • Copy of From Rome to Canterbury, by E.M. Almedingen. 1933.


  • Copy of The C.T.C. (Cyclists Touring Club) at Home and Abroad. Includes memorandum and articles of association pamphlet. 1912. [Missing?]


  • Copy of Holidays in North Wales for Health and Pleasure by James N. Frith.[1910]


  • Copy of Illustrated guide to the Attractions of Capetown and Neighbourhood. 1911.


  • Copy of Lincoln, City and Cathedral: a Description for Visitors and Citizens. 1913.


  • Copy of The Ryedale Guide to Helmsley and Rievaulx. 1912.


  • Copy of Alden's Sixpenny Guide to Oxford. Includes postcard from R.Soulton dated 17.5.1946. View of Oxford.


  • Copy of The Illustrated Guide to Durham and its Vicinity. 1907.


  • Copy of London, Past and Present: With index and guide to the principle places of interest in and around the city of London. [c1947].


  • Copy of Parish Churches of England by J. Charles Cox. London, 1947.


  • Copy of Sussex: The Garden by the Sea by Arthur Mee. London, 1937.


  • Copy of The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place Names 3rd. Ed. Eilert Ekwell. 1951.


  • Article titled S.P.C.K. and Sheldon Press Literacy Bulletin. Autumn 1924.


  • Copy of Twenty-four Gems of Westminster Abbey: A collection of permanent photographs. London, [1902]


  • Box “Patent Lock-Clip file” contains clippings & items as follows:
  • Daily Telegraph clippings April 14, 1924, showing HMAS 'Sydney' being ceremoniously scuttled off Sydney. 6 photographs.
  • Clipping from Merriwa and Cassilis “News” Friday, April 1, 1932 showing “The Bridge, Builder's Story – Unpublished Incidents”. (Sydney Harbour Bridge.)
  • Reverse of clipping, description of Forth Bridge structural details.
  • Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate Sept .10, 1925. “Australia's danger, communist white-anting” . (Article); (Mr. Bruce P.M.)
  • Theatre programme for “David Copperfield”. Made into a play by Louis N. Parker. Christmas production at Her Majesty's Theatre, 1914. Price 6d. Details of cast, music programme and production shown.
  • Cheltenham Church Congress supplement to the Church of England Newspaper, September 28th 1928. (p. one-xvi). Photographs of churches and clergy. Diocese of Gloucester (U.K.)
  • Card No.1 “How to ripen PEARS in one minute”. Optical experiment.
  • Pastoral letter of the Bishop of Maitland on the nineteenth centenary of the death of Jesus Christ for the salvation of the human race. 6pp. [T.Dimmock Ltd., Printers, Maitland.]
  • Prayer notes for the dedication of window in memory of Harry Hyne Capper in St. Paul's Church, Maitland. (Maitland Park).
  • Balance sheet, Church of England Rectory Sports, November 14, 1921. (Weston, NSW), (handwritten), plus a congratulatory letter from A.E.Saxon (?), Runnymede, Cessnock, December 2, 1921. 268/9/4(lsd).
  • Order of service, “A Solemn Service of Intercession, for the preservation of peace in Ireland”. For use in the Diocese of London, and others, with loose pages from York Diocesan Gazette pp.7-10 and a page “The Communion”, showing the blessing and collects.
  • Pearsons Magazine, June 1909. No. 162. Vol.xxvii-39. Loose pages 565-576. The story of the church pageant. An official account of the making the great pageant of church history taking place this month at Fulham Palace. Historic church events are related. Illustrated.
  • Newcastle Cathedral Magazine, vol. 6, no.6. October 1914. Loose pages 3-8. Reprint of Bishop of London's Great Sermon in St. Paul's, from the Church Times, Friday, August 14, 1914.
  • Reply by [Sir] Oliver Lodge to Canon Gore's paper, “Synthetic society, on the possibility of a logical proof of religious doctrines”. 8 pp. Printed.
  • Copy of Interaction between the mental and the material aspects of things, by Sir Oliver Lodge. Printed paper. 8 pp. (1903). (Bishop Stretch pencilled on front.)
  • Cessnock Methodist Church; the church and social relations; church position defined.
  • 1 sheet printed. [1900?]
  • The Church Times, January 18, 1929, p.81-82 “The Enthronement at York”.
  • Photograph of a group of Bishops plus an article. Also photo of Viscount Halifax laying the foundation-stone at the new senior school at Brampton Bierlow.
  • June 2, 1939, p.590. Article “The Church in action, a village catechism in Cornwell", telling of a catechism service. Photo of the Rev. Kingden, and of a church group.
  • Whitstone Catholic Alphabet - 5 editions – each a single sheet. ; with a letter from Carlos Stretch to “Dear Father…(another priest Rev. C.D.Kingdom) requesting a copy of “Catholic Alphabets”.
  • Card of Vestry Prayers.
  • “Liverpool's wonderful Cathedral”, Supplement to The Church of England Newspaper, July 18, 1924, (one-viii). Photographs of church and clergymen.
  • Two pieces of paperfolding.


  • Ledger containing “Place names of New South Wales, their origin , meaning and locality, compiled by J.C.W.S. Also contains clippings, notes of place names, map of Sydney area of NSW ; letter from W.J.Goold, President, the Newcastle & Hunter District Historical Society, June 1,1938 (re any St. Paul's publications); “English earl's gift to Sydney church” i.e. silver chalice to St. Marks Church Granville from Earl of Granville (1940?); Death of Lake Pioneer Mrs. Mary Ann Phillips (nee Marks) (1950?); Reprints from The Advocate being articles by Rev. E. Worms about a pamphlet “New deal for the aborigines”, an alleged communist attack on Christian Missions, December 14, 21, 1939.


  • Copy of List of Post and Telegraph Offices in the Commonwealth, 1945.


  • Copy of Australasia, eight lectures…by A.J.Sargent. London, 1913.


  • Copy of The Boyer Lectures, 1968 After the Dreaming: Black and White Australians – An Anthropologist's View by W.E.H. Stanner. Sydney, 1968.


  • Copy of Aboriginal myths and legends by Roland Robinson. Melbourne, 1966.


  • Copy of Buried history, a Quarterly Journal of Biblical Archaeology Vol.4, no. 2. June 1968. ; Also clipping “Avondale pastor digs archaeology” by P.A.Haslam. 28th September, 1973. [N.M.H.]


  • Exercise book – notes on Church doctrine, exam questions. [c1900s]


  • Exercise book – notes on Church history, exam questions.[c1900s]


  • Copy of The Australasian Anthropological journal, March 31, 1897-August 20, 1908 (bound) Vol. 1, no. 4 – Vol. 10, no. 4. Clipping loose in book - report of aboriginal carvings found by Boy Scouts plus an article by F.D. McCarthy in N.M.H. On reverse a photo of Sister H. Towns (later Matron) of Royal Newcastle Hospital.


  • Copy of An Australian language, as spoken by the Awabakal, the people of Awaba or Lake Macquarie (near Newcastle, New South Wales) being an account of their language, traditions, and customs: by L.E.Threlkeld…edited by John Fraser. 1892.


  • Notebooks, Nos. 1-11, containing listings of aboriginal words and meanings in English, arranged alphabetically. [c1920s]


  • Notebook entitled 'New South Wales Aboriginal Place Names and Their Meanings from W.W. Thorpe's compilation and elsewhere'. [c1903]


  • Notebook with alphabetical tabs. Containing Aboriginal words listed in different dialects/languages; with Copy of List of New South Wales Aboriginal Place Names and Their Meanings. Compiled by W.W.Thorpe. 3rd ed. Sydney, 1940. Book includes a loose letter and pages of names, plus a blotter advertisement from Thos. Dimmock Pty Ltd, West Maitland.


  • Six notebooks, Nos. 1-6. Alphabetical listing of aboriginal words. [c1900s]


  • Notebook containing introduction to and listing of Aboriginal place names in the Hunter Valley and around Newcastle. [c1900s].

A7740 - A7741

Folder labeled ABO33, 34, 35 containing manuscript materials of “Toponomy or Place Names of New South Wales, Their Origin, Meaning & Locality, Compiled by J.C.S.W.:

  • No. 33 “Toponomy or place names of New South Wales, their origin, meaning & locality, compiled by J.C.S.W. A to L.” Vol. I.
  • No. 34: “Toponomy or Place Names of New South Wales, Their Origin, Meaning & Locality, Compiled by J.C.S.W. M-Z.” Vol. 2
  • No. 35: File of aboriginal words and meanings. Tabs cut into the pages. Alphabetical. Also contains unused bank passbook, Bank of NSW stamped “Merriwa, NSW, 193-“, utilized as a notebook for aboriginal words and meanings.

Folder containing items labeled Nos. ABO 40, 41, 42:-

  • No. 40 - envelope contains
    • clipping (12 copies) of Canon J.C.W.Stretch visiting Lismore [1964?];
    • Lists of place names from various sources in different handwriting; Letter from Sgt. 3/c A. Wellard, Police Station, Mungindi, dated 17.3.1948 re enquiries from Rev. Carlos Stretch about place names e.g. “Murgo”;
    • Letter from John A. Ferguson (Justice Ferguson, 81 Glanville Rd, Roseville), Judges' Chambers, Industrial Commission, Sydney. 24.6.1948. Ferguson: Bibliography of Australia; Also 6-page feature on Australian place names, “The Australian Women's weekly”, May 13, 1964. Pp. 45-54.
  • No. 41 – envelope containing
    • Notes for a church service;
    • Notes on St. Paul's Church, Maitland, centenary, for an address or publication;
    • Notes for an article on the railways and telegraph centenary in Australia; Invitation (used as notepaper) when Rev. H.E. Evans showed “Life among the Walbiri: a Central Australia Tribe” – films in sound and colour, at the Department of Anthropology, University of Sydney, for the Anthropological Society of NSW;
    • Notes on “Stroud : a Tourist and Historical Mecca” by B. (Boscobel article for Newcastle Morning Herald.);
    • “In and Around Paterson”, probably written for publication by Boscobel in N.M.H.);
    • Clipping “Landmark to go at Paterson”, by Rona Clarke. [N.M.H.], first hotel built in Paterson to be demolished.
  • No. 42 – File of correspondence relating to place names, 1948;
    • Replies from Shire Clerks from numerous towns to Rev. Carlos Stretch. Many loose notes, on paper, used envelopes, on place names as well as clippings;
    • Copy of Mankind: Official Journal of the Anthropological Societies of Australia. Vol. 3, no. 7 April, 1945. Contains articles by Professor A.P. Elkin and Mr. F.D. McCarthy on aboriginal matters;
    • Circular from Rotary Club of West Maitland, 29 January 1950. Secretary Clarry Lawson. Local men's names appear. Reverse side used as notepaper for NRMA note plus clipping from NRMA advertisement 1939;
    • Typewritten list of Wardens [wartime 1939-1945]. 5 copies. First copy has amendments and additions in pen and ink;
    • Notes on words, meanings, derivations of place names, Aboriginal and English;
    • Letter from William A. Hoare dated 17 August 1946, to Father Stretch, asking for any history of the church at Clarence Town to be used in a booklet. The P.&C. is holding “Back to Clarence Town School” day. [Was booklet published in 1946?]. Pencil note added - May 6, 1858 it was reported that a church was being built at Clarence Town. Note on back [?] consecrated September 1858, nave, chancel, porch & vestry in early English style by E.T. Blacket, Clarence Town dates included St. Johns and Rectory;
    • Letter from [Rev.] Warwick Turvey, The Rectory, Stroud, dated 16th November 1958 to Canon [Stretch]. Invitation to preach and question about St. Barnabas, Booral. Folded with notes of the reply sent November 18;
    • Copy of NSW Motor Traffic Handbook, 1940;
    • Clipping from the Daily Telegraph dated September 6, 1964. “126 Years of History”. St. Thomas' Church, Mulgoa by Rolf Boldrewood (author) stayed at Fernhill;
    • “Free sample” – fold out Bible study readings;
    • “Toponomy – List of Place Names, New South Wales A-C” [typewritten manuscript];
    • Copy of Australia. Institute of Aboriginal Studies, Newsletter. Vol. 1, no. 3. January 1964. (2 copies);
    • Copy of Mankind: Official Journal of the Anthropological Societies of Australia. Vol. 6, no. 3, May 1964; Letter from Dr. J.M. Maclean, Trangie to Mr. Stretch re place names. Notes attached of place names (Western NSW);
    • Letter from Ken, Kempsey NSW dated 8/10/1946. Response to request for place names in Kempsey;
    • Letter from H.H. Nicholls, Dubbo NSW dated 20/1/1948 to Rev. Carlos Stretch, noting change of address and referring to list of place names – given on to “an old hand to fix up for me…”. Hopeful of returning same soon.
    • Letter from Claude, Will Riley & Son, Funeral Directors, Lismore, Coraki and Woodburn, Lismore dated 30 March 1948, to Mr John Stretch (son of Carlos). Enclosing a letter from Claude to Mr. Walter Page, Aboriginal Settlement, Woodenbong dated 19th June, 1947. Walter responded on Claude's letter Street, Albury NSW, giving the meaning of the place name Walla Walla, also describes flooding of in his own handwriting.
    • Letter from Canon C.W.Leavers, The Rectory, Dubbo, dated 24.12.1946 to Rev. C. Stretch, promising to send on any information he can get about aboriginal names “through a local black tracker”.
    • Letter from Barwongy = Barkingi, Louth, dated March 1947, to the Editor, Western Grazier, Wilcannia offering aboriginal names.
    • Letter from Constable W.R. McLeod, Court House, Drake, dated 22nd March, Clerk of Petty Sessions, to Rev. C. Stretch. Suggested he try Kyogle Police Police Officer-in-charge as the names may be Richmond River rather than Clarence River dialect. No reason is known for the name of Drake being given when the Post Office was established.
    • Letter from Stan Henry, Albury, dated 24.2.1948, to Rev. Carlos, enclosing file of place names, which may be of assistance.
    • Letter from A.A. Howard, Albury, dated 21/10/1946 to Mr. Harrison, Albury, giving meaning of a name. “Goombargana” is aboriginal and means “big black hill”.
    • Letter from R.J. Shipard, “Bona Vista”, RMB 98, Walla Walla, dated 12/11/1946, to Mr. Harrison, Dean Petrie's Creek, plus attached list of place names in the Albury district.
    • Printed letterhead of William A. Bayley, J.P., Public School, Castle Hill (crossed out and stamped “Crookwell”)
    • NSW, dated August 11, 1947. A thank you note. Printed on letter “life member of Royal Australian Historical Society; Accredited representative of Mitchell Library, Sydney NSW”.
    • Typed letter from (unsigned), “Brightfield”, Bowral, NSW, dated 27.6.1946, to Rev. J.C.W.Stretch. Retired clergyman ? “Hon. Parochial etc. Historian” at Bowral. Mentions “Memories of Old Bowral” going back to 1815, and also Bishop Broughton's 1845 journal.
    • Circular The Kings School Old Boys Union, dated 30 August 1947, showing office bearers , 1947-48. 1 p.
    • Copy of The Daily Advertiser, dated Wednesday, January 28, 1948, p.3 and p.5. Articles and photographs – “100 People Living in Squalor at Leeton's Wattle Hill Settlement” by Don Hawton.
    • Letter (typewritten)
    • from Michael Sawtell, Chairman, the Committee for Aboriginal Citizenship, Sydney, to Mr. Stretch. Responding to an aboriginal name enquiry. He mentions Dr. Arthur Capell, Linguist, and Professor Elkin. Pinned to the letter is a list of names and a clipping showing Michael Sawtell, “veteran bushman”, and schemes for using water for inland Australia.
    • Letter glued to back of a folder: from Mrs. C. Lean, “Roseleigh”, Gleniffer, via Bellingen, to Rev. H.E. Hunt, Coffs Harbour, responding to a request published in the local Bellingen newspaper, about place names.
    • Piece of a letter telling about the naming of “Thora” from “your loving Auntie Anne”.

File labelled ABO 43-49B Folder containing exercise books and a binder file and an envelope.

  • No. 43 Envelope containing: Copy of Rotary Club of Maitland, Charter No. 3501. In commemoration of Rotary's Golden Anniversary, 1905-1955, 23 February, 1955. Contains an article “Place names around the Hunter Valley" by J. Carlos W. Stretch. This copy presented to Rev. Stretch by the club, as well as Maitland identities and local history; Clipping from Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate, dated Saturday, December 11, 1954, p.5. (6 copies). Article by Boscobel "District place names make fascinating study".
  • No. 44 Exercise book (orange cover) – NE and N of NSW place names and loose maps of NSW.
  • No. 45 Exercise book contains The Gospel according to St. Luke double-spaced handwritten in an aboriginal? language with pencil English language translation
  • No. 46 Exercise book (green cover) contains place names in NE of NSW and locations. Partly used book. Also has a loose invitation to Parish Services, St. Luke's, Wallsend Mothering Sunday, March 24th 1963. Bishop Davies was invited.
  • No. 47 Exercise book (green cover), contains place names NE NSW. A- Z. Half-used book.
  • No. 48 Binder file contains “What's in a Name”. Manuscript about people's names, derivations and meanings. Also contains copy of Constitution and By-Laws: Rotary Club of West Maitland, February 1941.
  • No. 49A I Exercise book – Duke and Duchess of Kent portraits on cover. Contains place names of NSW with meanings and origins, European and aboriginal, plus lists of place names. A – M.
  • No. 49B II Exercise book – Duke and Duchess of Kent portraits on cover. Contains place names of NSW with meanings and origins, European and aboriginal, plus lists of place names. M – Z.

Blue Folder labeled ABO 50, 51, 52, 53 containing:

  • No. 50 [Ledger cover used as a folder to hold correspondence about aboriginal place names and meanings.]
    • Letter from John Stretch, Lismore, dated 24.3.1964 to his father Canon Carlos Stretch.
    • Letter from H.L. Keelan, Town Clerk, Broken Hill re place names.
    • Copy of letter from Canon Stretch to Town Clerk, Broken Hill, January [1964].
    • List of place names.
    • List of place names.
    • Rough copy of a letter to Town Clerk, Broken Hill, from Rev. Carlos Stretch.
    • Letter from Denis C. Ebbs, Mermaid Beach, Queensland, 18.6.1962, to Canon Stretch making an appointment to visit Canon Stretch.
    • Letter from [Bishop Housden] + James Newcastle, Bishopscourt, Newcastle, 5 June 1962. Invitation to Communion Breakfast during Synod, 12th June 1962. Copy of reply and inability indicating poor health attached.
    • Letter from J.S. Woodington, Hon. Secretary, NDC, Parish of Lambton, 6.3.1962, re payment of subscription (NDC), and noting change of address for Mr. W. Hyslop, schoolteacher, from Lambton to Kendall.
    • Letter from Rev. Gordon Coad, Parish of St. Luke's Church of England, Wallsend to Rev. Canon Carlos Stretch, Jarrett Street, Toronto, about taking church services. 23.11.1961.
    • Letter from W.(William)
    • A. Bayley, Crookwell to Rev. Carlos Stretch, East Maitland giving references to aboriginal names. 7.10.1949.
    • Letter from F.D.McCarthy, Curator of Anthropology, Australian Museum to Rev. Carlos Stretch, Toronto, replying to enquiries about aboriginal names. 31.11.1959.
    • Letter from Mrs. Marjorie Hancock, Deputy Mitchell Librarian, in reply to an enquiry about “Hue Hue”, and “Kuranda”. 11.3.1960.
    • Christmas gift card for a subscription to Walkabout arranged by Margaret and six (6) others. [n.d.]
    • Letter from Rev. Russell F. Gibson, Mayfield Methodist Church to Mr. Stretch, re Cooma, referring him on to Mr. Dudley Hawkins, Cooma as a better contact. 8.6.1950. List of place names attached. Letter attached from R.Dudley Hawkins, replying to Mr. Stretch. 3.7.1950.
    • Note of a reply to, and letter from Lionel Gilbert, Public School, Wauchope about place names. 19.3.1957.
    • Pencil rough of letter to Mr. Gilbert about place names plus a list of place names and meanings, attached to a letter from L.A. Gilbert, Public School, Wauchope to Rev. Canon Carlos Stretch. 31.1.1957.
    • List of place names . Around Tibooburra…
    • List of place names. Around Menindee….
    • List of place names. Bingeebeebra…
    • List of place names in the Murray Valley of NSW.
    • List of place names. Coonamble…
    • Draft of a letter from Carlos Stretch to a family member.
    • Letter from F.D.McLeay, High School, Muswellbrook to Rev. Canon C. Stretch replying to a request for meanings of place names.
    • Letter from [Bishop] Christopher Storrs, Warden, St. Johns College, Morpeth to Canon Stretch re a donation of books to Morpeth College. 2.2.1958.
  • No. 52 [Account book used as a record of place names arranged alphabetically. Holds clippings and loose sheets with blotting papers, notes, letters received and rough drafts of letters to send]. Containing:
    • Printed list of “Aboriginal house names” from The Australian Women's Weekly December 20, 1961. pp.28, 29.
    • Clipping from The Australian HOME BEAUTIFUL, May 1956 p.53 - “Aboriginal House Names”. (Mrs. W. Onus, Deepdene Vic., offers to supply names information for a search fee.)
    • Australian Aboriginal Words and Their Meanings published by Badenochs Transport, Richmond, S.A. (Removalists). Acknowledgment is made to South Australian Museum Board for approval of this compilation and the H.M. Cooper, Hon. Associate in Anthropology, S.A. Museum.
    • BP Road map of New South Wales.
    • Letter from Fred Innes, Bookookoorara, via Tenterfield to Canon Stretch, Lismore asking for meanings of names.24.8.1964. Meanings are noted on bottom of letter.
    • Letter of W.S. Parker, Shire Clerk, Moulamein, NSW to Rev. Carlos Stretch in response to a letter published in Swan Hill Guardian asking about place names. Attached is another letter from E. Marshall to W.S. Parker with information for Rev. Carlos Stretch. 25.10.1949.
    • Public Library of New South Wales: list of works on Australia, Antarctica, and the Pacific Islands. October 1948.
    • Leaflet “Australian Museum publications” and order form.
    • Rough draft of a letter to the Mitchell Library.
    • Three letters from J.(James)
    • B. Allison, Shire Librarian, Lake Macquarie Shire Public Library, Boolaroo to Rev. Canon C. Stretch. 26.4.1955, 28.4.1955, 29.4.1955 and 22.9.1955, concerning inter-library loans from the Public Library of NSW. Attached also is a letter from P.L.NSW. and the draft letter from Canon C Stretch to the Shire Librarian Boolaroo. 20.5.1955.
    • Five clippings “What's in its name?” Sydney place names. Articles signed “E. Oakes”.
    • Letter from John C. Capp, “Windermere”, Lochinvar to Carlos about “Dalwood” (place name)
    • and about George Wyndham. On back of the sheet is a rough draft of a reply to John.
    • Letter (10 sheets)
    • from Arthur F. Smith, WYNNUM, E2 to Canon Carlos Stretch telling about the Scone area, “Segenhoe”, the story of White's acquisition, Dunbar's Creek, Towarri, Woomula (Woolooma), Rossgole (held by Bragg, Blunt and Tyson names), Glenbawn. He also mentions himself as a Confirmee of Bishop Stretch. 6.3.1958.
    • St. John's College Program “Patronal Pandemonium”, the Freshers' review for 1951.Part I, 13 items eg. “The Vicar's Vagaries” and Part II, drama “The Pious Tragedy of Pope Boniface VIII”, presented by St. John's Productions Ltd. (St. John's College, Morpeth). Printed sheet.
    • With Compliments slip of Senator the Honourable Sir Alister McMullin, K.C.M.G. President of the Senate, Parliament House, Canberra. Used for notes of addresses on the back.
    • Sketch map of Lochinvar area northern side of the New England Highway showing “Kaludah”, “Windermere”, “Luskintyre”, “Wyndella”, “Anambah”, “Knockfin” on half of the back of a printed sheet “Grass conditions and pastoral outlook in NSW as at 31st December, 1956”.
    • Clipping “Books on Australia”. O.U.P. Melbourne. - pasted into back cover.
  • No.53 Folder of aboriginal correspondence containing:
    • Letter from Agnes Barwick, “The Hawthorns”, RMB 169, Sparkes Creek, Scone, dated March 9, 1952 to Mr Stretch, about origins of place names “Sparkes” and “Kiernane”.
    • Letter from Arthur Cook, St. Albans Church of England, Charlestown to “Dr.” (Stretch)
    • re the origin of “Windale”. (26/3/1952). The property was owned by Mrs. E.A. Winn of Surprisetown. Her daughter, Mrs. Gore, was postmistress at Windale, and the informant.
    • List of place names in 1.Nyngan area, 2. Gilgandra area. Searl written in pencil.
    • Letter from Rob Webster, 114 Asquith Street, Temora to the Rev. Carlos Stretch, St. Pauls Rectory, West Maitland, (19th July, 1954)
    • listing place names in the Ardlethan district, and seeking help in their meanings. Had written a history of Temora and was now writing a history of neighbouring Ardlethan. Note: Ans. (answered)
    • July 26.
    • Attached a list of place names plus their meanings.
    • Attached a second letter (2/8/54)
    • Attached a third letter (25/9/54). Pencil annotations have been added by Carlos Stretch.
    • List of place names Mount Bocolle, Tabrabucca…
    • Short letter from Jack M. Haigh to “Dear Sir” giving derivation of “Doyalson”. Feb (?)
    • 1955.
    • Slip of paper with place names “Koolpinyah” etc.
    • Slip of paper with aboriginal words and meanings “Adno-artina” = large gecko….
    • Sheet of paperWarijagong (Forbes)
    • = ants…
    • Letter from Neil Hutchison, Director of Drama and Features, Australian Broadcasting Commission, Sydney to Rev. Carlos Stretch, St. Pauls Rectory, Maitland NSW, - aboriginal names and meanings used in episode 821 of “Blue Hills”. – 4th July, 1952.
    • Pencil draft of a letter of sympathy to Mrs. Campbell – incomplete.
    • Letter from F.D. McCarthy, Curator of Anthropology, The Australian Museum of Sydney to the Rev. Carlos Stretch, St. Pauls Rectory, Maitland, replying to an enquiry about Aboriginal names. Had been in Arnhem Land for nine months – 6th December, 1948. The enquiry was dated 22nd May, 1948.
    • Letter from Carlos Stretch to Mr. McCarthy (of the Australian Museum, Sydney). (22.5.1948).
    • Sheet of paper with aboriginal words and a translation, “Wallee…”
    • Letter from F.S. Colliver, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Brisbane, SW6 (12th February, 1954)
    • to Rev. Carlos Stretch, Hon. Sec. N.D.C., Jarrett Street, Toronto, NSW, replying about a word BULIMBA – magpie lark …
    • Small notebook “The Gordon memo book” contains a clipping about Rev. Carlos Stretch collecting origins and meanings of place names in the Newcastle district and a pencil quotation inside back cover “Cicero to Atticus do not obtain your slaves from Britain ….” “ same said of the Australian aborigine.”
    • Pinned notepaper “Where are the following ?” Aboriginal place names arranged A-Y. Some meanings are given. (9 pages).
    • Three slips of paper – Gradgery…; Rivers…; Around Broken Hill.
    • Letter from Mrs. R.M.Murrell, Girvan via Stroud, to Mr Stretch, mentioning his brother Mr Cliff Stretch, Minister, whom she knew. Described The Branch of the Karuah River, where a township once stood.
    • Slips of paper with place names. Quarrobylong… Combe – old English valley… Card to invite people to Holy Communion Tinamba… (brief draft of letter written May 8, to Town Clerk at Sale, re aboriginal names in the district. draft of letter, posted Feb. 5, to Mr F.S. Colliver, c- Geology Department, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Brisbane, requesting meaning of “Bulimba”.
    • Envelope containing letters. Letter and list of place names around Cobar from Carlos Stretch, St. Pauls Rectory, West Maitland, dated Feb 5, 1947 to Miss Corbett [at Cobar]. Pinned to letter from [Miss] P. Corbett, Shearleys, Cobar, dated 7-7-47, to Dr. McLean, Trangie NSW in which she sends on letter from Carlos Stretch.
    • Letter from Dr. J.M. Maclean, Trangie, dated 17th October, 1951, to Mr. Stretch and attaching a letter from Andrew D. Mathews, “Maryantha”, Cobar, dated 21.7.1951, addressed to Dr. Maclean and Mr. Carlos Stretch.
    • Gives information about place names in the Cobar district. A contact person was Wal Snelson, President of Cobar Bowls Club.
    • Slip : Taree- Dumaresque, Oxley and Mitchell Islands. (no meanings)
    • Bendolba….wrote to W.J. Ingram, Bendolba, Delegate
    • Clipping from Newcastle Morning Herald, 2/6/1954 – obituary of Mr. A.J. Moate, b. Moate Street, Georgetown, m. Miss Elizabeth Proctor of Stockton, d. Mater Hospital, Waratah, aged 87.
    • Letter from Rev. Canon C. Stretch, Jarrett Street, Toronto NSW dated February 15, 1955 to Mr. White (“Henry V '?')
    • Belltrees, Gundy, requesting help for meanings or origins of place names of NSW enclosing a list of place names. Note: Answered, unable to help. Numbered in pencil “32”.
    • Letter to Mr. E. Bernays, Maffra, Cooma, from Carlos Stretch. Pinned to reply from E.K. Bernays, Maffra , Cooma dated 9/8/1955, to Canon Stretch, re information on place names in the Cooma district.

Blue Folder containing items labelled ABO 54,55,56,57,58,59 containing:-

  • No.54 Hard-covered exercise book.
    • Lists of place names – Victoria, NSW areas – Gundagai, Yass, Cootamundra, Orange, Armidale, Bowral…Wilcannia. Also inquiries to PP Boards at Armidale, Wentworth;
    • Letter from A.J. McAndrew, Public Relations Officer, dated 31st October 1946 to Rev. C. Stretch, St Paul's Rectory, West Maitland. Folded with Carbon Copy of list of Railway stations and platforms, which would have been sent back to Mr. McAndrew;
    • Slip of paper with NSW place name “Bostobrick ”– established as a timber centre 1857;
    • 3 pages pencil – names, district, origin /meaning “Goarra” S.Sutherland = a locust [NSW places.]; 3 pages pinned. List 1. North Coast names; 2. Around Cooma; 3. Central Coast, NSW; Reprint of an article “The Aboriginals of Australia” by Archdeacon E.A. North Ash, Home Secretary of the Australian Board of Missions, [1940?];
    • Envelope containing Rotary envelope with pencil notes – place names, surnames of authors; Lists of works on Australia, Antarctica and the Pacific Islands. Public Library of NSW. Country Reference Section, January 1940, and September 1941. (2 copies).
  • No. 55 Brown envelope labelled “Armistis (sic) Day, Canberra, St.John's” containing:
    • Clippings – “A mood for today” – address to Sydney Rotary Club, Armistice Day, November 11th, 1941 – Rev. E.J.Davidson ;
    • “I vow to thee my country” ; picture + words of S. Basil;
    • The Church Standard, April 5 - May 17, 1946. Various topics and pages;
    • Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate Tuesday April 26, 1949. Article p.4 – Anzac Day on Coalfields…Rev.D.McKinnon, and description of services;
    • Clipping [Maitland Mercury 25 April, 1949] “Anzac Day…”;
    • The Northern Star Saturday April 16, 1949. (Lismore NSW). p.4 “Easter Church services…Report on different denominations.
  • No. 56 Brown envelope, from Walkabout Magazine with special label. “Campanology”.
    • Bells change ringing. Bobs. Dodge. 56. Contains instructions for bell ringing. “Plain Bob” 3 copies. “Grandsire Doubles” (2 doubles). (St. Paul's bells, Maitland).
  • No. 57
    • Exercise Book with cover picture “Tank exercises. Australia's Defence” containing Clipping “Choosing new name for New Lambton”. Kotara chosen (1950?);
    • Handwritten notes on etymology of place names- Old English onwards;
    • Draft note to Mrs. O (Victorian) re Murray Valley place names;
    • Letter from William A. Bayley, Central School, Crookwell, dated 13th September 1954, to Rev. Carlos Stretch, Toronto, asking for help for a proposed title for a book about Far South Coast of NSW.
  • No. 58 Folder containing:
    • Typed manuscript of “Origins and meanings of place names of New South Wales”. Compiled by J.Carlos W. Stretch. Alphabetical with tabs as far as “C”.
  • No. 59
    • Cover of ledger containing loose material including:
    • Slips and correspondence about place names including NSW, Victoria and Tasmania.
    • To:
      • Copy – The High Commissioner for Pakistan, Canberra, June 8, 1951.
    • From:
      • The Bishop of Gippsland, Sale, Victoria 16th June 1954;
      • A.T.Latham, Secretary, Historical Society of Victoria, Broken Hill Chambers, 31 Queen Street, Melbourne, 16th May, 1951 and 5th June, 1951;
      • J. Ray, Town Clerk, Council Chambers, Sale, Victoria, 11th May, 1951;
      • Donald J. Tugby, Ethnologist, National Museum of Victoria, Russell Street, Melbourne, 14th March, 1951; 18th June, 1951; 4th July, 1950.
    • Also from
      • Jas Jervis (not JARVIS), 5 Florence Avenue, Denistone 27th June, 1951;
      • Herbert J. Rumsey, "Vernham's Dean", 59 Adderton Road, Dundas NSW, 23RD June, 1951;
      • E.M. Vere for Postmaster, Parramatta, 14th October, 1950;
      • R. Turner, Mayors Secretary, City Hall, Parramatta, 29th June, 1951;
      • Dr. J.M.Maclean, Trangie, 23rd March, 1948; 16th November, 1949; 9th September, 1949;
      • R.(Rob) Webster, 114 Asquith Street, Temora, 16th May, 1950, 25th March, 1950, 6th February, 1950;
      • Alan H. Morris, High School, Echuca, 13th October [1950]; H.C.Fenton, Chairman, Public Relations and Betterment Board, Railway Offices, Spencer Street, Melbourne, May 2, 1950, December 5, 1950;
      • Alan Norman, Tongala, Victoria, 8th February, 1951.
      • Letter from Dorothy Carroll, Secretary, Linnean Society of NSW, Science Hours, Gloucester Street, Sydney 25th January, 1950. Recommends contacting Miss Cribb (Mavis Cribb), Maitland Public Library for interlibrary loans;
    • Library regulations Linnean Society of NSW, 1st February, 1950.
  • Letters from
    • E.V.Clarence, Tamworth, 5th May, 1950; Norman C. Hewitt, PO Box 25, Tweed Heads, 17th January, 1951;
    • F. Moriarty(? Signature), Yallaroi Shire Council, Warialda, 3rd June, 1949;
    • Joah H. Sugden, 87 O'Sullivan Parade, Rose Bay, Sydney, 21st September, 1949 – 6th November, 1950;
    • A.G. Broad, Shire Clerk, Shire Council, Moss Vale, 22nd April, 1949;
    • Thomas H. Webster, Shire Clerk, Shire of Burrangong, Young, NSW, 12th August, 1949.;
    • S.A.West, Auctioneer, Martin Street, Stockinbingal, 9th June, 1949; __?? __ Shire Clerk, Council Chambers, Tumbarumba, 26th August, 1949;
    • G.H. Thomas (?) Shire Clerk, Murrumbidgee Shire Council, Darlington Point, South-West Line, NSW, 28th April, 1949;
    • M.R. Brown, Field Officer, Hunter Valley Co-operative Dairy Co.Ltd., Hexham, 8th September, 1950; WA Bayley, Central School, Crookwell, 8th November, 1954.The King's School Magazine, May 1950 pp. 63-68 "Correspondence" from The Maurice, Wellington, NSW, place names.