Bishops' Registry Records
Clergy, individuals and diocesan records from other sources
BODE, Rev. FRANCIS DASHWOOD
- Bode Family correspondence and personal documents, 1805 - 1891;
- Legal documents including marriage certificates, 1870;
- Legal documents relating to the Estate of Henry Edward Hill, 1872;
- Family photograph.
BODE, Rev. G.C.
- Address presented 1869,
- Bode family history, 1862 - 1880.
- Reference, 1927;
- A record of facts concerning the Diocese of Newcastle written by the Registrar, Mr. C.A. Brown, after 47 years of service;
- A history of the Diocesan funds (by) C.A. Brown;
- The presentation of the work of the Australian church in regard to missions by C.A. Brown;
- Draft of a history of Newcastle [by C.A. Brown?];
- The first exploration of the Hunter and Paterson containing "Lieut.-Colonel Paterson's journal and discoveries at Hunter River" and correspondence, 1801;
- The Bible Reading Fellowship: twenty five years 1922 - 1947 [Pam.];
- Hunter District Water Supply and Sewerage Board: Newcastle water supply system by C.A. Brown;
- Notes relating to the history of Morpeth, Maitland and Stockton [Ms.];
- In memorium - Charles Arthur Brown (funeral address) May 16, 1955;
- Archdeacon Hessey (n.d.);
- St. James' Church, Morpeth, (R.E. Goddard, rector, in background);
- Church at Hamilton;
- Coles Child (died, 1798) (portrait);
- Family photographs.
- Correspondence, 1913 - 1916;
- Biography of E.H. Burgmann, by L. Forrester, 1983.
- Press clipping book, 1898 - 1927.
CHILD, Archdeacon COLES
- Correspondence, 1873 - 1898.
- Letter books, 1860 - 1883.
- Vicar General's letter and memoranda books, 1879 - 1880.
- Correspondence and papers relating to Bishop Tyrrell's will and memorial fund, 1878 - 1898.
- Executors of the Bishop of Newcastle (Bishop Tyrrell) memoranda books, 1879 -1881.
- Correspondence on Bishop Pearson, 1878 -1879;
- Notebook and account book, 1883 - 1884;
- Blandford School legal documents and correspondence, 1880 - 1889, 1892.
- Blandford School minute book, 1879 - 1885.
- List of books for sale by Edwards Dunlop & Co., 1891;
- Circular letter on the Yearbook of Australia, 1886;
- Mission life, 1879 "The first Bishop of Newcastle, N.S.W., in memoriam", by Rev. R.G. Boodle;
- Supplement to the Guardian, 1872;
- The Ceylon Diocesan Gazette.
CROAKER and PERRY FAMILIES
- Family correspondence and business records, 1894 - 1926;
- Marriage certificate of Henry Perry and Mary Louisa Croaker, 1894.
DOVE, The Rev. W.W.
- Sermon manuscripts, 1855 - 1861.
- Christ Church Cathedral Newcastle : Conservation Plan.
This Plan was prepared for the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle by the firm of E.J.E. Architecture as part of the process of rectification to earthquake damage. It describes in full the stages of the construction of the Cathedral (including axometric drawings and other illustrations thereof).
ELKIN, A.P. (Diocesan historian)
- Correspondence and clergy list, 1840 - 1879;
- Deed of consecration of Hinton Church, 1856;
- Notes, correspondence on St. James' Church, Morpeth, 1925 - 1937;
- Notes and correspondence on Morpeth history, 1843 - 1979;
- Notes and correspondence on the history of the Diocese of Newcastle, 1925 - 1953;
- Notes on Bishop Stanton;
- Bishop Pearson files, 1841 - 1895;
- Notes and correspondence on George Brooks and John Laurio Platt, 1823 - 1937;
- S.P.G. [Society for the propogation of the gospel in foreign parts] missionary reports, 1861 - 1869;
- S.P.G. letters to and from Bishop Tyrrell, 1847 - 1849;
- Census statistics, 1830 - 1857;
- Letter of the Bishop of Newcastle containing remarks on the Sydney Diocesan Conference, 1865;
- Colonial church legislation… General Conference, 1866;
- Typed extracts from Bishop Tyrrell's diary, 1850, 1852, 1855.
- Notes on early chaplains in the Hunter Valley;
- Notes, correspondence and souvenir booklet on Paterson, Gresford and Allyn River, 1836 - 1929;
- St. Paul's Church, Paterson, souvenir booklet, 1929;
- Notes and press clippings on Bishop Broughton and St. Mary's on Allyn, 1922, 1929;
- Drawings of St. Mary's on Allyn, 1897;
- Printer's blocks and correspondence, 1936;
- Notes on extracts from Lower Hunter and Wollombi parish registers, 1821 - 1923;
- Correspondence and notes on Minimbah (House), 1974;
- Press clipping on the first court at Patrick's Plains, 1826;
- Press clipping on Church of England School at Wittingham near Singleton, 1829;
- Typescript on A. Cappell (ca.1937);
- Letter describing a clergyman's journey in the Clarence River District, 1850;
- Copy of a letter from Malcolm McLean to Mrs. Close, 1897;
- Drawing of a sanctuary lamp;
- Chronology of the Old Testament;
- Letter from Bishop Holland relating to the completion of the Cathedral, May 1979;
- History of St. Paul's and the Parish of West Tamworth, 1857 - 1952;
- History of St. Philip's Church, Sydney, 1910.
- Parish histories (details in parish guides).
- Centenary and other commemorative booklets.
- Reports of the Newcastle Church Society, 1853, 1862;
- Photograph: Chelmsford Institute for Seamen, Newcastle.
- Report of a Conference on religion and life, Newcastle, 1944;
- The Church of England Grammar School, Morpeth, prospectus;
- Bishop Batty's play on William Tyrrell, 1947;
- George Merrick Long : a memoir, 1930;
- Memoirs of the Blomfield Family, 1799 - 1839;
- Broadcast transcripts, by J.D. Medley, 1941;
- Memorials to E.C. Close, 1921;
- Armidale Diocesan news, 1946;
- Address at the opening of Religion and life convention, 1942;
- Diocese of Sydney journal, 1973.
FORSYTHE, Dr. ALEC
- Constitution, 1955;
- Trust Property Amendment Act [1917 Act amended 1976];
- Rules for the conduct of business in Synod [n.d.];
- Ordinances, 1900 - 1967, 1975;
- Handbooks to parish law, 1930, 1961, containing Church Acts, 1848 - 1930.
GLENNIE and WYNDHAM FAMILIES
- Letter book, 1887 - 1897;
- Branxton church register, 1881 - 1890;
- Alfred Glennie's book of dance music.
- Sundry material pertaining to St. Barnabas' Anglican Church, Booral. [See entry under Booral, in "Parishes and Churches"].
HOWELL, Rev. ROBERT
- See entry under St. John's Church, Newcastle.
- Press clipping book on Christ Church Cathedral and the Diocese of Newcastle, 1930 - 1982 (includes a plan of the Australian Agricultural Company's Railways);
- A memoir of Bishop Broughton, by P.A. Micklem, 1936;
- The nudge of God : the story of Newcastle's cathedrals by Ian Shevill, 1975;
- Photograph of dedication of furniture at Newcastle Missions to Seamen, with Bishop Housden, K. Humphris, and G.S. Morphet.
Orders of Service:
- 1926: Lighting of the Forster lamp of TOC H Australia;
- 1928: Induction of the Rev. F.W. Tugwell;
- 1928: Enthronement of Bishop George Merrick Long;
- 1928: Unveiling and dedication of The Forster Monument in the Chapel of St. Michael;
- 1928: Induction of William Herbert Johnson as Dean;
- 1928: Dedication of the Crossing of the Nave;
- 1931: Enthronement of Rev. Francis de Witt Batty as Bishop;
- 1932: Memorial service for George Merrick Long;
- 1933 Synod service and dedication of window in memory of George Merrick Long;
- 1934: Consecration of Ernest Henry Burgmann, Bishop designate of Goulburn;
- 1936: Installation of Thomas MacKinson Armour as Dean of Newcastle;
- 1943: Installation of Arthur Edward Morris as Dean;
- 1949: Installation of Norman John Blow as Dean;
- Orders of Service for institution of Deans and enthronement of Bishops, 1950-1978;
- Re-opening of St. Paul's Church, Maitland after restoration of damage caused by the 1949 flood, February, 1950;
- Visit of the Archbishop of Canterbury, November, 1950;
- Commemoration of coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, 1953;
- Diamond Jubilee of the dedication of The Cathedral, November 21, 1962;
- Memorial service for Winston Churchill, January 18, 1965;
- Completion of Christ Church Cathedral, May 27, 1979;
- Newcastle Cathedral official handbook 1932;
- Christ Church Cathedral, Newcastle, 1948;
- Tower 200 Club Christ Church Cathedral Heritage Project, 1979.
BISHOP LINTON and LINTON FAMILY
- Estate letter books, 1894 - 1902;
- Estate correspondence and accounts, 1902 -1929.
MARKHAM and MILLS FAMILIES
- Sermons of Markham Mills preached at Sussex and in the Diocese of Newcastle, 1836 - 1911.
- Rare Book Collection: The life and labours of Rev. William Tyrrell…, by Rev. R.G. Boodle;
- The Holy Bible [containing personal mementos];
- New Testament 1881 [containing personal mementos, poetry, correspondence and genealogy];
- Extract from St. Alban's Parish Magazine Muswellbrook, June, 1898;
- The Church standard, 1831;
- Newspaper clipping "Denman church 100 years old", December, 1972;
- The Church of England Magazine, 1853;
- Newcastle Diocesan Churchman, 1932;
- A plain tract on confirmation by W.H. Ridley;
- Newspaper clipping "The late W.S. Wilson in memoriam",1882;
- Diocese of Newcastle Synod reports 1882, 1903, 1912, 1926;
- Ordinances of Synod, 1892;
- Reports of British Australian Wool Realisation Association Limited, 1926.
- Press clipping with photograph of Sir Clements Markham, 1916.
- Illuminated addresses presented to the Reverend Charles Markham Mills, 1878, 1903;
- All Saint's Church of England Woodville, 1864 - 1964;
- Archdeacon W.E. White of Muswellbrook, 1890s (photograph);
- St. James' Church, Morpeth (photograph);
- Lucy Martyn (photograph);
- A tribute to Charles Markham Mills, by T.A. Wood, 1932;
- Letters from Bishop Tyrrell, 1871, 1872;
- Early history of Denman and the 60th anniversary of St. Matthias' Church, by C. Markham Mills;
- Copy of portion of The emigrant and the heathen, by J.J. Halcombe.
PHILLIPS, RICHARD HENRY
- Licences and certificates, 1880 - 1885.
- Conservation management plan : St. John's Anglican Sunday School Hay, Raymond Terrace, 1990.
- Good Bishop Tyrrell and the Diocese of Newcastle, Australia, Bachelor of Arts Honours thesis, University of Sydney, 1989.
- Correspondence, 1921 - 1927.
- Illuminated address presented c.1893 [?]
WILLIAMSON, Archdeacon A.N.
A5049 - A5051a
- Glass slides of scenes from Australian life, (including the Hunter Valley), Japan, Papua New Guinea, Nauru, Ocean Island, and Fiji, c.1900 - 1935.
- Religious paintings, Churches, religious instruction, religious personnel.
- Collection of photographs, views, and sundry MS notes on the South Pacific area, c. 1920 - 1935.
- Two letters of Williamson, 1928 and 1933.
A6556 - 6559
- Collection of glass slides of religious paintings, scenes of Europe and Middle East, churches, cathedrals, documents, religious tracts and bibles, 1900 - 1935.
- Boxes containing slides of religious paintings and photographic equipment, 1900 - 1935.
Biography (anonymous typescript, n.d.)