This is a collection of some 2,700 volumes from St. John's College, Morpeth, generously donated by the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle,and includes editions of major theological and philosophical works printed in the 16th-18th centuries. At least half the Collection originally belonged to the first Anglican Bishop of Newcastle, William Tyrrell, who was appointed to the Diocese in 1847. The oldest book held in the Library is found in this collection, namely, Eusebius' Ecclesiasticae Historiae printed in Paris in 1544.
Above: The first transfer of rare books of St. John's College Library Morpeth, tothe University Library in 1973. The Rev. Ray Williamson, Bishop Housden, Vice- Chancellor Auchmuty and the University Librarian Edward Flowers.