Aborigines of the Hunter Region [Kit]
The Aborigines of the Hunter Region [Kit] was a resource kit created for teachers and compiled in the 1980s for the Department of Education.
It consists of 7 booklets, 10 prints with questions, 45 slides (most in colour), notes to the audio visual materials and a sound cassette which included Perc Haslam speaking about the language of the local Aboriginal people.
The ultimate objective, therefore was to inculcate the children of the Hunter Region, and that encompasses many ethnic groups, with a respect for and an understanding of a race of Australian people.
The scholars responsible for the preparation of this work were:
- Perc Haslam – Visiting Scholar (Aboriginal Studies) Newcastle University.
- John Heath – Education Officer Aboriginal Grants. Member of the Awabakal Co-operative.
- Bob Jakes – Raymond Terrace High School
- Bryce James – Science Consultant, Hunter Region
- Bill Needham – Science Teacher, Cessnock High School
- Boris Sokoloff – Primary Teacher, Cardiff North Primary School. Curriculum Perspective Consultant. (1983 – 1984 ) Hunter Region.
- Helen Vaile – Social Studies Lecturer, Newcastle Colleae of Advanced Education
- John West – Primary Teacher, Cessnock Primary School
Thanks to Melanie Patfield who digitised the Aborigines of the Hunter Region Kit for the University of Newcastle in November 2010.
- Booklet 1. Introduction ; Contents; Subject index ; Bibliography andmdash; Booklet 2. Australian prehistory, Aboriginal history andmdash; Booklet 3. Traditional Aboriginal society : economic and material culture –Booklet 4. Traditional Aboriginal society : social aspects andmdash; Booklet 5. Black and white contact –Booklet 6. Contemporary Aboriginal society andmdash; Booklet 7. Teaching strategies [7MB PDF]
- Audio visual materials notes for teachers [664 KB PDF]
- Prints. [Photographic study, traditional life] [25.3 MB PDF]
- Slides. [Material culture ; Foods ; Ceremonial art sites, ceremonies and legends] [27.4 MB PDF]
- Cassette, side 1. Aboriginal language (33 min.) –Cassette, side 2. Aboriginal music (17 min.) [28.3 MB MP3]