To make notes you need to:
1. SCAN the whole text. Take a quick look at the cover, Table of Contents chapter headings, Intro, etc;
2. SKIM - read parts of the text that your scanning has shown to be important; when reading a chapter, skim the introduction, the first and last sentence of each paragraph, and the conclusion;
3. SELECT – select which parts you think will be useful information by jotting down page numbers and/or using ‘Post it’ stickers to mark sections that are relevant to your questions.
4. HIGHLIGHT AND ANNOTATE - go back to the information you found that will be useful to your assessment task and
5. SUMMARISE - Make notes from highlights and annotations