- Also known as extrinsic materials.
- Assist in the interpretation of legislation.
Explanatory memoranda (EM)
- Also called an explanatory note.
- A clause by clause outline of a Bill in plain English.
- Assists to understand the proposed legislation, its objectives and the detailed operation of a Bill.
Second Reading Speech (2RS)
- Contains an explanation of the purpose or the rationale of a Bill.
- The official report of the debates and proceedings of Parliament.
Parliamentary Committee Reports
- It is sometimes necessary to refer a Bill to a committee which specialises in the subject area of a Bill.
- The advisory report can provide valuable information about historical legislative changes.
Key Australian resources
Key international resources