What is case law?
- Case law is a primary source of law.
- It is the recorded and published decision of judges.
Cases: reported or unreported?
- All decisions of the courts start as unreported judgments.
- The vast majority of cases will remain unreported.
- However, when a case is deemed significant it is reported and published in a law report series
What is a case citator?
- Summarises reported cases.
- Shows the correct citation of a case including its medium neutral citation.
- Shows if a case has been reported in more than one law report series.
- Shows the earlier cases a case has considered.
- Shows if a case has been considered in later cases.
Key Australian case citators
Key international case citators