Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The 'Problem Steps Recorder'
The Problem Steps Recorder allows you to record a problem you are having with your Windows PC so you can share it. This screen capturing software is freely available online.
- Using the search bar on the bottom left hand side of the screen, type in PSR and press Enter.
- Then click Start Record. A screenshot is taken with every mouse click and comments can be added between clicks if required.
- These screenshots (and comments) are captured in an HTML document that is saved inside a zipped folder on the desktop and can be attached to an email. Note how all your steps have been recorded? This will greatly assist with the resolution of your issue.
Example of PSR screen recording
Please note that, while Library staff will endeavour to assist you to resolve your issue, a resolution may need to be directed to another UON team for further investigation.
A useful tool if using Windows OS - the 'Snipping Tool'
You can capture screen shots and save them in a word document, or insert them in an email to send to Library staff.
- Using the search bar on the bottom left hand side of the screen, type in 'snipping tool' and press Enter.
- This will enable you to capture specific parts of the screen as required.
More information on how to use the Snipping Tool.
How to take a screenshot on your MAC
Showing someone else what's on your screen can be just as important as being able to see it yourself.
You can capture your entire screen or just a selected portion of it.
The screenshot is automatically saved to your desktop.
Command + Shift + 4 brings up the tool. Then drag over the area you want.
More information on capturing a screenshot on a MAC.