Dr Douglas Rex Huxley
Principal, Hunter Institute of Higher Education (1987-89)
Deputy Vice-chancellor (Planning) (1989-1993)
Dr Huxley was born in Gulgong, New South Wales, in 1932. He received his education at Mendooran Central School and Dubbo High School. After leaving school, he attended the then Newcastle Teachers College. He graduated from the College in 1952 and took up appointment as a teacher with the New South Wales Department of Education, and taught at various centres in New South Wales from 1952 to 1969.
While engaged in his teaching duties, Dr Huxley undertook university studies and, in 1965, obtained the Degree of Bachelor of Arts from the University of New England and in 1967, his Bachelor of Letters from the same University. He then registered for further higher degree studies at the University of Newcastle, and in 1972 was awarded the degree of Master of Arts and, in 1976, the degree of Doctor of Philosophy from that University.
Dr Huxley was appointed as a Lecturer in English at the Newcastle College of Advanced Education and, in 1972, was promoted to Senior Lecturer in English. After the position had been extensively advertised nationally and overseas, Dr Huxley was successful in being appointed Assistant Principal of the College in August 1976. Following the death of the former Principal, Dr Richardson, in October 1984, the College Council appointed Dr Huxley as Acting Principal, then, in December 1984, as Principal pending the advertising of the position and the making of a permanent appointment. Dr Huxley also served on several education boards and committees.
Dr Huxley was Principal of the Hunter Institute of Higher Education and was honoured in 1989 by the Institute Council resolving to name the Institute Library in his honour. This was deemed a tribute to his commitment to the institution and his highly respected leadership. Dr Huxley was appointed Deputy Vice-chancellor (Planning) of the newly amalgamated University of Newcastle in 1989. Dr Huxley retired from the service of the University on 3 January, 1993.
Support our digitisation programs by donating to the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund