QR Code for this site
About the APA Style
This guide is based on the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.).
Copies of the APA Manual are available in each of the University's libraries at the call number 808.06615 PUBL 2010. Check NEWCAT for current status details.
What's New in APA 6th?
APA 6th edition includes significant changes related to online publicaitons:
- the use of Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) in references to print and electronic sources (when available). See pages 188 to 192 in the APA Manual for more information.
- expanded coverage of online resources
To learn more about the changes made in the new edition, check out the "What's New" section on the official APA Website.
EndNote allows you to record and organise personal databases of searchable references to books, journal articles, conference papers and other publications.
Create your bibliographies automatically by inserting references from your EndNote library into a Word document. EndNote formats the bibliography for your paper in the reference style that you choose.
Download EndNote (University staff and students only)
APA 6th Referencing
Correct referencing using the APA 6th style requires acknowledgement of the use of other sources of information within your assignment by including:
- citations in the body of your assignment - these are known as 'in-text' citations.
- a reference list at the end of your assignment which includes details of all of the in-text citations.
Academic Integrity and Plagiarism
"Plagiarism is the presentation of the thoughts or works of another as one's own,... and may include:
- copying or paraphrasing material from any source without due acknowledgment;
- using another person's ideas without due acknowledgment;
- collusion or working with others without permission, and presenting the resulting work as though it was completed independently."
University of Newcastle. Student Academic Integrity Policy.
Your Feedback ...
Examples included in this Guide
- 1 Author
- 2 Authors
- 3-7 Authors
- 8+ Authors
- Books (No Authors)
- Books with Corporate Authors
- Edited Books
- AV Media
- Cochrane Reviews
- Conference Presentations
- Course Materials
- Discussion Forum Posts
- Dissertations & Theses
- Government Documents
- Joanna Briggs Institute Publications
- Secondary Sources
- TV Shows
This Guide follows the principles included in the 6th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (2010).