Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB)
The National Construction Code of Australia (NCC) (previously the BCA - Building Code of Australia) is published, maintained and updated by the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB).
Access the NCC here.
The National Construction Code (NCC) is an initiative of the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) developed to incorporate all on-site construction requirements into a single code.
The NCC comprises the Building Code of Australia (BCA), Volume One and Two; and the Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA), as Volume Three.
Volume One: pertains primarily to Class 2 to 9 buildings.
Volume Two: pertains primarily to Class 1 and 10 buildings.
Volume Three: pertains primarily to plumbing and drainage associated with all classes of buildings.
The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) is a joint initiative of all levels of Australian Government via the Council of Australian Governments (COAG).
The Board was established in an inter-government agreement signed by the Australian Government and State and Territory Ministers responsible for building regulatory matters on 1 March 1994 and reaffirmed by Ministers in April 2006.
The ABCS's Mission
- The Australian Building Codes Board addresses issues relating to safety, health, amenity and sustainability in the design and performance of buildings through the National Construction Code (NCC) Series, and the development of effective regulatory systems and appropriate non-regulatory solutions.
Specifically, the ABCB:
- maintains and updates the National Construction Code of Australia (NCC);
- provides the community with cost-effective and efficient regulations to aid the design, construction and use of buildings throughout Australia;
- responds to government and industry calls for minimum necessary regulation to facilitate, not inhibit, business;
- supports the Council of Australian Government (COAG) in the pursuit of its National Reform Agenda that aims to address issues relating to climate change, human capital, competition and regulatory reforms to lift Australia's prosperity.
QR Code for this Guide
Faculty Liaison Librarian
Engineering and Built Environment
Auchmuty Library L320